Anyone who grew up on traditional homemade meals will understand what it means to feel so satisfied by them. You can almost call it soul food – or food that makes you whole again. It goes beyond taste, but it’s in the warmth of the entire dining experience, the smooth jazzy music in the background, the service with a smile! That’s the secret ingredient in any great meal, and can be found at a cosy Modern Chinese Restaurant in the heart of Melbourne called RuYi.
RuYi is a Chinese word which translated means “as desired or as [you] wish”. The Melbourne venue is far from your stereotypical Chinese dining experience, it almost feels like mom’s dining area where she prepares the heartiest meals, but with an option to enjoy it ‘as desired’. In fact, the meals are better shared with friends to experience a bigger menu variety of well presented dishes paired with the finest wines. Before you know it, your mates start to feel like family and the atmosphere feels like a home. A more modern looking, minimalist home with just enough diversity to go around. Perfect for the cultural melting pot we are living in and embracing in Australia.
If you want the Best Chinese in Melbourne, this is a venue to definitely try out and eventually turn into your second home. It’s not common that you visit a restaurant in Melbourne and eat something that’s been prepared in-house by the owner – Sheng Fang – from original childhood recipes. It’s a unique touch which will open your mind and your palate to the undiscovered or hidden taste of China.
See RuYi’s 2014 – 2017 awards:
- Best new restaurant in Melbourne 2014 by Timeout Melbourne
- Winner commendation Austalian Interior Design Award 2014
- 2nd prize Eat & Drink Award Australia 2014
- #2 Top10 Melbourne CBD restaurant 2014 and Top100 Australian restaurants 2015 Dimmi
- Award of excellency 2015 Trip Advisor
- 2016 Dimmi People’s Choice Awards – Best for Fine Dining, Best for Service and Top100 Australian Restaurants
- Best Chinese In Melbourne – 2017 Gourmet Traveller Australian Restaurant Guide